What is LASIK EYE Surgery?
LASIK eye surgery is the most common option for improving vision in individuals suffering from nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. These types of eye conditions are brought on because of the shape of the cornea. By using a high-powered laser, an eye surgeon can alter the shape of your cornea to improve your vision. LASIK is a very safe procedure with excellent outcomes for most patients.
How long does LASIK take?
LASIK surgery is a short procedure that we conduct in the office in less than half an hour. Patients can expect 10 minutes or less tobe spent on each eye. However, the entire office visit on the day of LASIK surgery may take about 90 minutes.
Is LASIK Painful?
LASIK patients do not experience pain during their procedure. Sufficient anesthetic eye drops are administered to numb the eye entirely. As we work on the eyes, slight pressure may be felt in surrounding tissues. After surgery, a mild grittiness or sensation of having an eyelash in the eye may be felt. This is a temporary side effect that decreases within a few hours. At home, most patients take over-the-counter pain relief medication to manage comfort.
What are the benefits of Laser Eye Surgery?
The outcome of LASIK surgery is better vision, which is beneficial for any person who wants to reduce their reliance on glasses or contact lenses. Studies indicate that LASIK is successful in achieving 20/20 vision in 85% of patients. 95%of patients achieve at least 20/40 visual acuity with LASIK. When vision is improved to this extent, patients can go about their daily lives without having to wear corrective lenses.
LASIK is beneficial because it takes very little time to complete and patients can quickly resume normal activities after taking some time to rest on the day of their procedure. The results that are achieved with laser vision correction are long-lasting. Many patients do not require further treatment after their initial procedure.
Is LASIK a safe procedure?
LASIK is an FDA approved eye surgery that has been performed millions of times and has been widely studied. We are thorough in our consultation and evaluation of patients seeking vision correction so we recommend LASIK only when it is deemed appropriate. According to statistics, most patients achieve their desired outcome from LASIK with just one procedure. In rare instances, one eye may need retreatment to optimize visual acuity.
How long will vision correction last?
Long-term studies on laser vision correction have demonstrated the potential for permanent results from procedures like LASIK. In one study published in the Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, results from laser vision correction held strong beyond 18 years after initial treatment.
When can I return to work and normal activities?
Recommendations after LASIK may include:
- Having someone drive you home from your surgery, and to your follow-up appointment.
- Driving may be resumed once the legal vision requirement has been confirmed through a standard eye exam in our office.
- It is safe to shower starting the day after surgery, taking care tokeep water away from the eyes.
- Most patients return to work within one to two days.
- Artificial tears may be used for a few weeks to reduce dry-eye. This is especially relevant for those who routinely use a computer.
- It is best to avoid wearing eye makeup for the first week after LASIK. To significantly reduce the risk of infection, many doctors suggest buying new mascara and eyeliner rather than using the products that were used before surgery.
- Mild exercise may be resumed within a few days, taking care not to let sweat drip into the eyes.
- Swimming and hot tub use can be resumed after two weeks.
Your doctor will discuss detailed aftercare recommendations with you during your consultation for LASIK surgery